Swimming Pool Admission Policy
The policy takes into account guidelines from the Health Safety Executive (HSG 179) and recommendations from the Chartered Institute of the Management of Sports and Physical Activity (CIMSPA). All Children under the age of 8 must be accompanied in the water by a responsible person. Children under the age of 4 must wear approved floatation devices and remain in designated safe areas.
Age Of Child Supervision / Precautions Required Adult to Child Ratio*
The following ratios apply to unstructured swim sessions. These are sessions without a formal structure where bathers are able to play and swim within the confines of Life Leisure pool rules:
Children under 4 years / 1 Adult to 2 Children
Children 4-7 Years / 1 Adult to 2 Children
• A responsible person must be directly present in the water with the child/ren at all times.
• *If children are not confident swimmers, approved floatation devices must be worn and they must stay within designated safe areas.
Children 8 Years and Over
• No parent supervision is required provided the child can swim at least 25 Metres.
• Children must be able to Swim 25 Metres as a minimum.
• Designated Safe Area (DSA) is an area where there is still a risk of drowning but the likeliness is significantly reduced. This may be the small pool or shallow water in the main pool where the section is clearly segregated.
• Responsible person must be 16 years or above and be a competent swimmer of 25 meters as a minimum.
• Unstructured swim sessions are sessions that are open to the public and not led by a teacher or instructor. For specific sessions (i.e. swimming lessons, parties etc.) ratios may differ depending on the associated risks.
The Management team are happy to discuss individual safety requirements, including adult to child ratios.
RESTRICTED MOBILITY ACCESS.
If you have restricted mobility we have the equipment and access to help you manoeuvre in and out of the Training (main) pool and the Leisure pool.
Our portable pool lift is designed to let you enter and exit the Training (main) pool with ease. If you need to use this lift please inform staff at reception before the start of your session. For your safety and peace of mind one of our lifeguards will prepare the lift for your use and provide you with all the help you need to safely access the pool.
Our manual chair will assist you in getting in and out of the Leisure pool.
Please call us on 01229 871146 if you would like to find out more or let us know you’re on your way.